Layout

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 31, 2013

I Do! I Like Them Sam I Am!

What is that? That is my breakfast: Green Eggs and Chili with four bites of Sauerkraut. Have you lost your mind? Nope, but I have lost 5.8 lbs. in four days. Another eating plan? Yup, another eating plan and I've ridden Posie (my crazy sparkly bike) for eleven days in a row. Boom.

So break down your breakfast will ya? Of course. The eggs are 2 egg whites, and 1 whole egg scrambled and cooked well with about a 1/2  cup of spinach that I chopped with herb scissors (so I don't get a big slimy bite). Then I take my delicious 3 bean chili (lentils, black beans & pintos with a serving of carrots hidden in there) and drain off some of the juice and throw those in with the eggs, just to warm. Mix it up. Boom. Ummmm, didn't you forget something? I'd like to. The sauerkraut acts as some kind of magical probiotic putting good bacteria into one's belly. It doesn't take a lot and I hold my nose and down it goes. (Big Daddy is substituting Kimchee for the kraut.)

So what makes this different than the other plans? I think of it as a modified Paleo with a binge day. The modification is the addition of legumes which are the silver bullet with this plan. I eat beans at every meal. They're cheap and filling and easy to cook. I will throw in that this is the most affordable plan I've ever been on.

So what are the rules?

Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates. Don’t eat bread, pasta, rice (brown or white), grains, potatoes, breaded fried food or dairy on your slow-carb days.
Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again. Meals should include protein, legumes, and non-starchy vegetables; eat as much as you like, 3-4x/day.
Rule #3: Don’t drink calories. Avoid milk (including soy), sweetened soda (no more than 16oz of diet), and fruit juice. One or two glasses of red wine are permitted. (I do put a little cream and sugar-free syrup in my coffee, I'm just not a black coffee drinker yet!)
Rule #4: Don’t eat fruit. Tomatoes and avocados are okay (the latter in moderation).
Rule #5: Take one day off per week. Go nuts and eat lots of calories to keep your metabolic rate (thyroid function, conversion of T4 to T3, leptin) up. Do at least five days of rules 1-4 before following rule 5.

Look, I know the key to all of this is staying the course and that's always always always the challenge. I am just saying, that I am encouraged because a) I've been willing to do some physical activity every day, b) I know how to jump start my metabolism now c) I am getting results quick!

If you'd like more information you ought to pick up a copy of The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss. It's interesting reading and just maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment