Layout

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Don't Break the Chain

Yesterday, I mentioned "don't break the chain" and today I got to put my seventh sticker on my bike riding chain. I read about this motivational tool on lifehacker.com Apparently Jerry Seinfeld was giving advice to a new comic and he suggested that he track daily activity using a calendar. Each day that he accomplished his goal, he put a big red "x" on his calendar, creating a chain. The game is to see how long one can go without breaking the chain. It's simple, it's silly and guess what, it works! I am using a calendar I found online and right now I'm only using it for my bike riding, but I will be adding more chains in the near future. 

The reason I'm excited about hitting the seven day mark is that I've read that the tipping point for creating a habit can be as little as four or five days. I have passed that point and for the first time in my life I am rolling directly out of bed ready to move and I'm doing more than I committed to do. Both my distance and the frequency of my riding has increased in seven days. I will be the first to admit that this is not a strenuous work out, but I am getting my heart rate up and I'm working up a sweat and I'm doing more than I was while sitting on the couch. It is my hope that by the time we reach October, Big Daddy and I will be able to ride in the park

Today we took measurements and weighed and tomorrow we start on a new eating plan. I have a lot of feelings about that which is the whole ball of wax. Food and feelings are linked for me and when I surrender those indulgences (even short term) I am left with the feelings and that's a big part of why I've fired up the blog. I need to talk about it. I need to share. Wish me luck and remember, we've only got to do one day at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment