Layout

Search This Blog

Friday, August 30, 2013

Go to Your Room & Make Stuff

I've been on a creative binge lately. The photo is a painted composition book cover I made from a drop cloth and craft paints. I'm not really crazy about that one, so I may paint over it and start over. That's one of the things I love about making stuff, you can call do-overs and begin again when you're not crazy about the results.

This is actually a perfect time to get lost in the craft room. It feeds the soul and doesn't drain the bank account like some of my obsessions can. I was just asking myself why I craft and there are lots of answers to that question at any given time. Here are some of them:

1. I caught it from my dad, who caught it from his mom, who caught it from...well I don't know who she caught it from, probably lots of her relatives as people made things both for entertainment and for use back in the day. I've been making stuff, painting stuff, drawing stuff, weaving stuff, molding stuff, stringing stuff and sewing stuff for as long as I can remember.

2. I'm a thrifty girl. I like to make stuff to give as gifts although I can rarely wait until a holiday to give it. I love making things for others, especially when I know who I'm going to give it to. Then I get to think about that person and what they mean to me while I'm making the gift.

3. It's problem solving at it's finest. I rarely create my own projects. I borrow ideas and put my own twist on it. I always think it's going to be simpler/easier than it is, and there's a great sense of accomplishment when the plan comes together. (Nailed it!)

4. I'm always learning new things. I've been Pintresting since before there was a Pintrest and all it takes is a spark and suddenly I need to make soap (saponification, not just melt and pour for me!) or knit scarves, or decoupage a bike...

5. Nothing kills a bad mood or an empty afternoon like a visit to the craft room. Time flies. Problems are left outside the door. For just a little while it's just me and my scissors, paper and glue, and I am in my happy place making stuff. (Side note: My craft room looks nothing like those pictures. My craft room is a long white table, an old dresser and a bunch of crap all over the floor. We clean it and I immediately destroy it. It's a complete disaster. That's why there's a "Keep Out" sign taped to the door.)

6. Crafting is my therapy. I struggle a bit with depression and both exercise and creating do wonders to help me get through those low times without going into the deep.

7. Because it's fun! You should try it! Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment