Layout

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Some days are like that...even in Australia


I don't know if you're familiar with ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE HORRIBLE NO GOOD VERY BAD DAY but it's a great kid's book that I think about often when things get off track. The first line of the story is, "I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair."

Here's my version: I had trouble sleeping last night and I hadn't had a latte so it was just my brain chewing on my face. I woke up late which makes me feel guilty because Big Daddy goes to work at five in the morning and the fact that I slept five hours after he left the house makes me feel like a jerk. I was supposed to hang out with my friend Suzie today but by the time she called I was feeling guilty about sleeping late and the fact that I've been procrastinating on fixing my messed up schedule for school and if I don't make myself do it today, I may leave it all screwed up and then feel sorry for myself. Then I started working on fixing my schedule and finding my books for next week and for some reason that whole process just sends me into a giant emotional twist. I LIKE being in school, but getting in school is a whippy-doodle! It feels like I'm in a giant maze and there are information desks all over the place but the people at the information desks may or may not actually know more than you do. So at one point I have six websites open trying to accomplish one task and then I realize that I have the screen on my netbook set too large to see the button I have to hit to approve the program that will show me the document I need. So I change the settings on the netbook but I have to reboot for the settings to take effect which means I've got to get out of and get back into the six sites all over again. This process continues and then I start pricing the text books, and don't even get me started on that! Wow. So by the time I get all that done, Big Daddy calls and I'm weeping. Poor man. He really doesn't understand why I cry after everything is okay and I don't have any good explanation for that either so we just wind up with him slowly explaining to me that there's nothing to cry about and I let him know that I KNOW everything is okay but I'm still having feelings. I know he thinks I'm crazy and I'm not entirely sure he's wrong.

So now it's almost three o'clock and I feel like I'm just starting the day. The kitchen needs cleaning and there's laundry in the washer and dryer. I planned menues for two weeks and I really want to make dinner but I don't have any idea if I can get the meat cooked in time if I start it now. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Big Daddy would be happy with sandwiches tonight but I have this recipe for sweet potatoes with chili cumin and lime that I really want to try but the pork is frozen and I'm still sitting on the couch!

Perhaps it would be a good idea if I reboot as well. I should probably completely shut down, say a prayer, and start again with that happy little windows da-da-da-ding! I'll try it and let you know how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment