- 1 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 sleeve of Saltine Crackers
- 1 bag of chocolate chips
- assorted toppings such as pretzels or m&m's
- First preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a sheet cake pan or jelly roll pan with foil that has been well oiled. You need a pan with sides.
- Lay out the crackers in a single layer in the bottom of the pan. Lay the crackers in the bottom of the pan in a single layer with little to no space between crackers. It will take about one sleeve of saltines.
- Next put the 1 cup of butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar into a pan on the stove and bring it to a boil. You need to stir it constantly until it is well blended and you can’t see the butter on the top anymore. Once it is blended let it boil for 5 minutes while stirring. Make sure you have the crackers done before this step.
- When it is ready the toffee will pull away from the edge of the pan easily.
- Now you need to pour the toffee over the top of the crackers and spread it out.
- Straighten up any wayward crackers with a fork. Then immediately place this in the oven for 5-6 minutes. After 5 minutes pull it out of the oven and spread the chocolate chips on top carefully, the mixture will be extremely hot.
- As the chips melt smooth them with a spatula to make an even layer of chocolate.
- Let this stand until cooled or you can pop it into the freezer to speed up the process.